Saturday, June 14, 2008

don't mention the war

With bookclub approaching on Wednesday I decided I better begin All Quiet on the Western Front. It's not long, and I thought I would be able to knock it over today. But the clarity of its descriptions of the horror of WW1 meant I made it two thirds through and needed a break. It reminded me of when I went to see Black Hawk Down - which I found to be a relentless filmic assault on the senses. If I hadn't been on a date (n.b. very bad date movie!) I would have walked out. Sure, it's an impressive piece of film making, but I just don't need to see it.
The book is powerful conveying the banal ironies of the war and army life, together with the effect this has on the individuals involved - particularly because of its matter of fact style. So, I guess while I'm appreciating this, it's not something I'd recommend for a little light reading.
Looking forward to the discussion which juxtaposes this book with Indiana Jones!!
I'll make myself finish it tomorrow.

No comments: