Monday, August 10, 2009

What Wendy Watched: Daryl Somers for Idol judge please

Firstly, The Einstein Factor which was a series final. I know I harp on about this a fair bit but without Matt Parkinson and Barry Jones the brains trust is just not that good. Still, I made do with the lawyer fella, Liz Ellis and the other guy with glasses who is apparently on the radio somewhere. In the end Hitchcock films managed to squeak past FDR while the man with the Zulu Wars clearly had answered all the questions he knew in the preliminary because his score was dismal.

Then I started my flipping between Idol and Dancin'. Helen Ritchie was wearing a blue sheer curtain if you're interested. Sonya Kruger was wearing what looked like a bath towel. Do the channels conspire to both be on ad breaks at the same time. If not, it worked out that way most of the time by unfortunate accident. This meant I missed out on the tiny Russian dancer giving it to the judges about exactly what West Coast Swing is. Yes I know, dancin' controversy. I did manage to catch an appropriate number of embarrassingly bad singers. Fame and celebrity induced delusions are rife throughout our culture it seems. There were some good ones though - the school teacher from Adelaide, the abattoir workin' girl, the young shop assistant. Sadly, it seemed they were few and far between. I worry for those who are rejected. And the poor girl who had been rejected once before and thought singing karaoke for three years was the best training for improving just made me a little bit sad. Anyway, back over at the ballroom blitz Gerard the blind dancer made the cut again while Fiona O'Loughlin got the thumbs down. And she was wearing such a fringey dress as well.

Other random thoughts: Where has the goggly eyed host gone to? Still Andrew G is easy on the eye. What is the go with Rikki-Lee? Marcia's hair is pretty this year. Dicko does actually know what he's talking about. (BTW he was one of my favourites on Dancin'). My opinion of Kyle remains unchanged. He seems to be a tactless oaf (and this was my opinion before "the incident"). Forget calls to bring him back. I'm starting a campaign to bring back Daryl Somers to Dancin'. OR (here's an absolute genius thought) perhaps he could be the third judge. He can play the drums you know. Surely, all those years on Hey Hey count for something. He'd combine Mark Holden dagginess with a geniality that is sadly lacking. That'd be a nice poke in the eye for Seven as well.

No comments: