Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What Wendy Watched: Dicko kindly described you as bonkers

Australian Idol Semi Final One was full of feel-good comments from the judges, lots of screaming and home-made support signs. Dicko had a hair cut, Marcia was wearing an odd kind of white collar shirt contraption and new judge JD/ DJ was trying to establish a personality of his own. It's going to be difficult Mr J since you and Dicko seem to be record company clones. Still I didn't miss the unmentionable Mr Sandilands, because quite simply he always seemed like a tactless oaf. Perhaps he and Shane Warne could have a beer together sometime. I'm sure they'd hit it off.

Now because I had choir I had to record and watch later. This meant I didn't watch Dr Who but it didn't really matter because I have seen the first Martha episode very recently and I was recording it as well. All this recording meant I had to get my Mum to record Big Bang Theory which I will watch tonight. Phew, television is a logistical nightmare sometimes.

Right - now for my verdicts.

Hayley - Dicko kindly described you as bonkers in his own special endearing way. Not sure why you chose that boring Diesel song. I'm sure the words were easy to remember given they were so repetitive. You have interesting hair. I'm not sure what else of substance there may be.

Seth - As everyone pointed out you are very tall. You also play the piano although did not do so last night. Perhaps you should have (or is that not allowed?). Anyway, being an old person I'm didn't recognise your song and because I was fastforwarding through all the recaps and boring bits I missed Mr G introducing it. Seth, you have very pretty eyes but I don't know you have the "best voice in the competition". Still, the prettiness may get you a lot of votes.

Jamila - big risk singing Stevie Wonder and in a lower key as Marcia musically pointed out to us. Do you have a higher register? Time may tell. Dicko was right- the earrings were distracting. There is no need to drape thyself in quite so much jewellery. Let the singin' do the talkin'.

Toby - You are my favourite. But Coldplay? Boring. Pick a better song if you get a next time. And lose your Mum. It makes you look like a bit of a nerd. And just who are these "soccer mums" that are going to vote for you?

Kate - Rockin' and rollin'. "Lots of energy" - (If Dicko didn't say this I'm sure he should). I don't like the hat. But there may be a huge rural country music vote that will start texting. I don't know.

Stan - The judges are in lurve with you. I liked you much better in the heats. Plus the song, while very lovely, took too long to get going. So I was a little bit b-o-r-e-d spells bored. Please don't make the beanie thing your signature.

Wendy's words of advice: Stop walking all around the stage for no reason while you are singing. It's distracting and some of you looked very awkward. Still, early days. It's been a few seasons since I've bothered with Idol but I was impressed with some of the singing (and no for once I'm not being sarcastic).

No comments: