Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A distinct lack of trumpet fanfare

Well today finally the first of June arrived. It was a lovely day weather wise, although distinctly underwhelming in many other ways. There were the usual pernickety emails, the students - prospective, past and current - wanting various forms of assistance. For Day One of the Research Fellowship there was no trumpet fanfare, procession, cake, or any either kind of sign that something new was beginning. There was just me, myself and a really messy office that needed tidying and moving up a floor. By 3pm I managed to muster up some enthusiasm and made a start with all my bits and pieces. Tomorrow the nice men from building and grounds, and ITD will move my filing cabinets, books, extra desks, computer and printer. It always takes some time to feel at home in a new office but once I have my knick knacks in place and have worked out how to fix what seems a totally borked vertical blind I'm sure I will settle in. One of first tasks is to come up with a list of readings for my PhD student (oooer that sounds a bit grand don't it!). I then have a call for papers that I need to get started on, a network to begin networking (whatever the heck that actually means) and a plan of attack to plan and then attack.

So you know, it's not like I've got nothing to do. Still, a trumpet or two would have heralded the day in nicely.

2 comments:

2paw said...

If I knew how to write a fanfare I would write you one, but not one for the common man(sic)!!! Once you are arranged in all your knick-knackery you will be set.
Ohh err, PhD student!!!

Wendy said...

yes the knickknackery is very important! I shall get into with gusto in the morning :-)