Sunday, July 10, 2011

Life is precious

I can't remember the last time I read an entire book in one sitting but it happened yesterday. "Which book which book Wendy?" I hear you all cry in eager anticipation of a reply. (Or not...up to you really whether you talk aloud to blog posts).

The Price of Life by Nigel Brennan, Nicole Bonney and Kellie Brennan.

This is the true story of Nigel Brennan's kidnapping in Somalia together with a Canadian journalist, Amanda Lindhout and the efforts Nigel's family went to get him out of Somalia alive. It's a page turner. I couldn't put it down. And even though I knew the basics of the story from the news, from following the daily updates in our local paper here in Bundaberg, from watching the story on Australian Story, and from talking with Nicky when she arrived on the doorstep of uni at the beginning of the year, nothing prepared me for the full story as written in the book. It's an emotional journey - one of disbelief, anger, sorrow, pain, funny moments in the midst of darkness, patience and impatience, love, hate, tenacity, perseverance, determination and inspiration. It is told clearly and simply by each of the three authors. Their different perspectives intertwine beautifully to depict the strength a family can muster in the face of an unexpected disaster. It reinforces my respect for Senator Bob Brown, increases my respect for Dick Smith, confirms my suspicions about the wheels of government and international diplomacy, and reminds me of just what human beings are capable of - both good and bad. It's well worth reading because we all need reminding of what's important in life and how fortunate many of us are. I feel lucky I was able to remember by reading this astonishing story, rather than having to go through the events in person. In the end, I went to bed thinking about how precious life, every life, is.

2 comments:

2paw said...

I heard him being interviewed on the ABC and my heart was in my mouth, even though I knew he was safe. It is the story of how there are good people in the world!!

Wendy said...

Yes very true. the book has a lot more heart in the mouth detail as well. It's an amazing story.