Monday, July 4, 2011

we've only just begun

This afternoon at 4:30 was the first singing gathering at CQU Bundaberg. I had been immensely inspired by the power of music while at the Happiness conference a few weeks ago and finally decided it was time for me to get off my behind and do something with an idea I had been storing up for years. That's right - singing and music for fun, for joy, for all round goodness and well-being. So with a groovy name in hand - MusiCQUe on Mondays (thank you to @CirculatingLib for her inspiration) I emailed the campus staff, announced it a staff meeting and chose some music. I got 8 people turn up this afternoon with about 4 others who couldn't make it today. For a very small regional campus I was pretty happy with that turnout. It's a beginning. Strangely, I hadn't really thought about the enormity of starting a singing group entirely from scratch. It's no simple task but I decided to just go with my gut and choose some fairly simple songs and see what happened. It was great. Everyone sang in tune and we even managed to sing some partner songs which for a first try is excellent. Sometimes I forget that not everyone can hold harmony lines. We sang Wade in the Water/Sometimes I feel like a Motherless Child, then Top of the World, Supertrouper, and what proved to be a popular choice with Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I have some Carole King on order and will most likely spend my spare time trawling the internets for other bits and pieces. The best part of the afternoon....as I was leaving hearing one of the songsters singing to herself in her office.

6 comments:

Lindy said...

This is a familiar story. My husband started an elderly (ahem - mature) gentlemen's group on Bribie a few years ago. He now spends all his spare time downloading sheet music, arranging songs and soothing ruffled egos. And he LOVES it!!I do wish you the best and have a really good time.

Wendy said...

What a great thing to do! Especially to get men singing...I only had women turn up on Monday but hopefully some of the men on campus might be braver next week :-)

The Second Half said...

Sounds like a whole lot of fun! Today, Bundy, tomorrow ...?

Wendy said...

still Bundy I'd say :-)

2paw said...

There is just something so special about singing with a group. Well done and I agree, Maxwell's Silver hammer is an excellent, song, I remember singing it in the car when I was a teenager: I was not very trendy then either!!

Wendy said...

on the contrary I think if you were singing the Beatles as a teenager you were very trendy!