Friday, May 15, 2009

don't we know this stuff already?

It must be said that I just don't understand the big deal about Mad Men. Sure, it's visually stylish and beautifully evocative of another era, but I find little of interest in the actual characters or narrative. I've watched the first number of episodes and it doesn't grab me. What's so interesting about watching a deconstruction of the American Dream in exposing the discrepancies between appearances and reality of masculinity and femininity? I mean don't we know this stuff already? Maybe not...

I'd be keen to know if anyone is watching it, actually enjoying it and why? For me, it's quickly become a series that I feel I should be watching because it got such critical acclaim, however it takes a certain amount of restraint to stop myself flicking through the channels to find something else to watch.

Although it must be said that in terms of providing insight into the world of advertising it's infinitely preferable to The Gruen Transfer. Although so is watching paint dry.

(file that last comment under things of which Wendy has an irrational dislike)

2 comments:

2paw said...

I feel the same way. I believe I should like/admire/revere MM, but I watched it, and I don't. I lasted one episode and I know that I should give it more time but it just made me cross.

Wendy said...

I might give it another go tonight, but I think if I keep having to wait for it to grab me, then that's probably a sign that it's never going to. It didn't make me cross so much as just bored.