Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Is there anything that cake can't make better?

All I want to do is drink coffee, eat cake and sit quietly staring into space. The eisteddfod has sapped my energy reserves. Last night I was in bed asleep by 9pm and didn't get up til just before 7. I find myself having to go to work, catch up on many emails and phone calls, be interested in assessing and marking students (particularly since there are only three more weeks of term) and being my usual jolly and sociable self. (note to self: quit the self-directed sarcasm. Everyone knows I am not jolly). Monday saw me having to listen to students having meltdowns, offering tissues to them and making a number of appointments with the counsellor. I got nothing done that was hanging over from the week before. Yesterday, I managed to clear all urgent emails and phone calls, but this morning I was confronted with incidental unexpected things that meant the marking is still not started. Finally, at 11 I began and was immediately bored. So I put it aside, made a cup of tea and pottered about in an aimless fashion until class at 12. Then I left early (3:15) and went downtown for aforementioned coffee and cake (caramel and pear shortbread cake if you're interested).

Suddenly, the day seemed a whole lot brighter. Is there anything that cake can't make better?

No comments: