Monday, May 4, 2009

Emergency accompanying Plan B

I have a little headache after Bundaberg Music Eisteddfod Day 1. Hmmmmm let's see...what of excitement happened today?
Well, to start with at 8am I got a call from the accompanist in town who plays for let's say 80% of the competitors. She had a severe attack of vertigo on Sunday evening and was incapable of moving without dramatic and dire results. Accompanying emergency. Plans B, C and D were formulated in order to cover the students she was to play for this afternoon and this evening. This entailed a number of the other accompanists in town (myself included) sight reading music during performance. Stressful...just a little bit I guess.

Everybody please cross your fingers she is feeling well tomorrow. Other than that, wonderful, enthusiastic and encouraging adjudicators are giving fantastic constructive comments. All volunteers have turned up to do their various jobs so far. Bonus.

I have very sore feet from standing up all day and racing up and down stairs and wandering round venues saying things like "ssshhh" and "yes of course I'll go and find your adjudication sheet for you even though you weren't here when I gave them out before".

Tomorrow 500 children descend on the Civic centre at 9am to sing with their choirs and then funnest of all (yes I know that's not a word) an afternoon of concert bands and string orchestras, for which I will help rearrange the stage many times according to the very particular requirements of each conductor. And let me tell you some of them are more pertickular than others.

Update 2: tomorrow evening...stay tuned.

2 comments:

2paw said...

A little headache?? Sounds like you managed to save the day!!! Hope the accompanist is feeling better very soon!!

Wendy said...

She was back on deck today thank goodness. I was freaking that she would be out for the week because she had like a 100 accompaniments to play.