Saturday, May 16, 2009

lots of little black things

With my brother's wedding fast approaching it was time to start looking for a dress that fitted the description on the invitation of "cocktail/formal". This is Bundaberg remember, so there's not a lot of choice in terms of great clothes although things have improved in the last decade at least. So my mother and I traipsed into the one proper formal/bridal wear shop with more than a little trepidation this morning. Well, what a delight. It was so easy! Personal, thoughtful service and within half an hour I was the proud owner of a little black chiffon dress, a chiffon wrap, some jet earrings and an faux antique beaded little black bag. My instructions were classy, but understated. I did not want to look like I was pretending to be 22. Nor did I want to look like I was going to a nightclub. And I especially did not want to look like I was trying to be a bridesmaid. (they aren't having any). They were very understanding. The only things missing from the ensemble are shoes. They put me in some black strappy things with stiletto heels and I nearly toppled over. Seriously, I had to hold on to the saleslady's hand to step out of them. They looked pretty good but I am not a high heel person. Not only am I hopeless at walking in them, they give me lower back pain after a very short time. So I will be searching for shoes between now and the 4th of July.

8 comments:

Catriona said...

Maybe some low wedges? If the dress benefits from heels, I find wedges are often a good substitute. I have a weak back, but (warning: entirely non-scientific explanation approaching) I think wedges distribute the weight more evenly than heels and support the whole foot. (There isn't that gap between the stilt heel and the ball of the foot, where the entire arch area is sitting on nothing but air.) I don't find them painful or particularly awkward to walk in.

However, though I'm not in the minority here, I know people disagree with me about the ease of walking in low wedges. So you might be better off with pretty flats.

Definitely not stilettos, though. I don't mind a heel (on occasions when I'm not walking much) but I wouldn't wear stilettos if you paid me.

Wendy said...

i think your non-scientific explanation is a pretty good one. The wedge idea is a good one because i think heels of some kind are required with the length of the dress. And I'm with you on the stilettos - i just don't understand how people can stand in them let alone walk. Just as well I'm not a supermodel I guess.

Catriona said...

Well, it's one of the many reasons to be thankful for not being a supermodel (two of the others that spring to mind are a. not having a mind-numbingly dull job and b. being allowed to eat occasionally).

From the description above, it does sound as though heels might be needed. I think wedges are still in this season, so it's an option. But you might also find some pretty sparkly shoes with fairly low heels: that might work, as long as you stay away from the two-inch stilettos.

Wendy said...

yes good point. i do like eating. and my job is already mind-numbingly dull at some points without flying to paris.

the great hunt for suitable shoes begins now :)

2paw said...

Lucky outfit hunt. I tried on some high heeled shoes a few years ago ands I had to hold my taller friend's arm and squeal a lot, it was James Stewart and Kim Novak territory. I agree about the wedge heels, I have some slightly high ones and they are much easier to walk in. I am resigned to no green shoes this Winter.

Wendy said...

no green shoes!! that's terrible. I have my green converse sneakers but would love a green pair of shoes to wear to work. I have red and orange ( as well the normal old dull black and brown!)

matt said...

I was once invited to a wedding that had 'formal' on the invitation so I hired a tux and then was a bit embarrassed all night to be better dressed than the groomsmen. Turns out their concept of formal was 'don't wear thongs'.

Wendy said...

oh dear...that's slightly embarrassing.

I don't think that will happen here. we've had very clear instructions to look "glamorous". i don't think that includes thongs.