Friday, November 7, 2008

olive oil vs balsamic vinegar

A little incident in the kitchen this evening tells me it's time to apply the spring cleaning principles applied at work today to the pantry. It should be simple - tall bottles of things at the back, shorter items like cans and spices at the front. But no, I seem to have it arranged all back to front. A month of so ago this resulted in knocking a 600ml bottle of olive onto the tiles as I reached over it to get something from behind. The mess of glass and oil was less than a joy to clean up. And then tonight I clumsily knocked a bottle of balsamic vinegar onto the tiles while trying to put something away behind it. I did however avoid the cleaning up process here as the glass cut my foot. So while I administered first aid to myself (pressure+bandaid) others had fun times with the mop, dustpan and brush, paper towels etc.

The moral of the story is olive oil is much more difficult to clean off the floor than balsamic vinegar.

The other (and perhaps more important health and safety) moral of the story is don't be lazy in putting away the groceries and get some semblance of order into your pantry. Otherwise you too may be frantically searching for the first aid kit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered that any left over oil may have combined with the balsamic to create a lovely salad dressing on your floor... :)

Wendy said...

hmmm I hope not..because the oil was some months ago and if it was still on the floor last week it means I am a particularly slovenly housekeeper!
plus I'm not eating salad dressingfrom off the floor
:)