Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I'm not an academic I just play one on TV

Phew. I have a whole new respect for Paris Hilton. (That's a lie actually I have very little respect for Paris Hilton. In fact it could be characterised as none at all).

However, two surprise TV interviews in the space of half an hour was somewhat gruelling.

For those of you who haven't been interviewed by your regional news stations here's some tips.

1. Don't have more than an hour's notice that they are coming to talk to you. It was pure luck that I had done my hair and worn nice clothes to work yesterday. Lucky for me there was lipgloss in my bag.

2. Don't have any idea of what the story is about. This will match you to one of the reporters who ended up asking "What else do you think you need to say?". You certainly don't need any time to prepare some ideas for answers to their questions. I had 20 minutes to read the article from the Courier Mail that they wanted to get some comment on and think of some ideas. That was more than enough. HA. (I actually went to the staffroom and said "What the hell am I supposed to say about this?" Everyone pitched in.)

3. Make sure they stand you (a) in a roaring northerly wind OR (b) in the blazing hot sun

4. Try to talk as quickly and babbly as you possibly can. I think I managed this one particularly well.

5. Don't watch the broadcast. Let your friends do it for you so they can be nice and supportive and say things like "your hair looked good". Thanks people.

Ultimately, try not to get caught on campus when your supervisor, who would normally take on the job, is on leave.

2 comments:

John said...

Well? Where's the Youtube link?

Wendy said...

If you can find it John I will post it.
Just don't know if local news broadcasts go to youtube. ;)

(but of course now I am going to waste half the afternoon having a look!)