Saturday, August 2, 2008

follow the yellow brick road

Just finished watching the Broadway Musical documentary. The last couple of episodes took us up to 2004 when Wicked had just opened on Broadway. I'm wondering if I'm in the minority, never having been particularly fascinated with the Wizard of Oz mythology in its movie form. I agree the Over the Rainbow is a classic song and Judy Garland does a fabulous job of singing it in the original film - but I've only ever felt the need to sit through it once. Still, clearly the success of Wicked (just now opened in Melbourne) shows there's plenty of audience appeal for a story "inspired" by the Wizard of Oz. Interesting though that The Australian's review of the Melbourne show noted that the production has everything going for it, except perhaps, classic songs....I wonder. Maybe though, great songs are no longer essential to a successful musical?

No comments: