Saturday, August 2, 2008

Wendy's Week of TV Part 3

Sunday: Offsiders


Really I just wanted the Tour de France update, even though I knew Cadel Evans had failed to take back the yellow jersey in the time trial. His second place certainly hadn't impressed the panellists, and I had to sit through 15 minutes of football code argy bargy before the cycling was even mentioned. Poor Cadel...at least he didn't cry I guess. There's always next year.




Saturday: Funny Face


This ABC 2 showing of the Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire vehicle was notable for his skilful dancing (at the ripe old age of 58) and the fairly noticeable age gap between the two stars. Oh - and her stunning Givenchy wardrobe. This week Breakfast at Tiffany's - Moon River one of the most beautiful pop songs every written.


Sunday: Dr Who


At about 8:05 I looked at the clock and it dawned on me that this was going to be a "to be continued" (I'm a bit slow!) So we leave Donna's Grandpa suffocating in the car and the world on the verge of extinction until next Sunday evening. Darn it!! This episode also gave me a whole new perspective on the navman....it is creepy that we obey their instructions without question. Isn't it? Also the coincidence of reading Foucault on the panopticon and surveillance the day before this episode was a little freaky as well.




Monday: Enough Rope


Andrew interviewed Gordon Ramsey the swearing celebrity chef. Although I only caught the second half when I arrived home from choir, I seem to remember that Andrew's interview with Jamie Oliver also featured the choko and other foods. Was this explicitly addressed when he presented them to Gordon? Anyway, I'm curious as to the cultural fascination with chefs and cooking. Are they celebrities simply because they devote themselves to the artistry of an everyday task (like cooking) that so many of us no longer have the time or energy for? Although in Ramsey's case I suspect a fair chunk of the celebrity comes from the unceasing propensity for swearing. (Disclaimer: I'm a Jamie girl myself).




Wednesday: Food Safari


Hungarian food hey? Well, one thing I didn't know is that there are SEVEN types of paprika (that's right...seven!). And then host Maeve O'Meara clearly articulated what I'm sure all viewers were thinking - that Hungarian food is "carbohydrate heaven". I love carbohydrates. Not sure Maeve was so enthralled though, in spite of her usual "mmmmms" and "aaaahs". She seemed a little less enthusiastic than normal.




Wednesday: The Hollowmen


"They're ministers - not thinkers". Surely not?! Beautiful as always.

Friday: Two and Half Men


The embarrassing thing is not really that I sat down and decided to watch this lame American sitcom, but rather that when I discovered that this appeared to be the pilot episode (in repeat) that I was just a little bit thrilled. Because I hadn't seen it the first time round. Then I got a little worried - is there any sitcom that is so bad I won't sit through it? I can't think of one but suggestions are welcome....


Friday: The Gil Mayo Mysteries

I know it actually screened on Thursday, but due to rehearsal I was catching it on Friday. Why, why, why, why was this final????? Why, why, why, why, why British television production company executive whoever you are did you decide not to make any more? In the week of boring television this was a little ray of sunshine - and now it's finished. So frustrating!




All Week: The Broadway Musical


A colleague loaned me the dvds of this fascinating documentary about the Broadway musical and I've managed to fit in the first three episodes. If, like me, you're a sucker for a catchy tune then musicals might well be for you. So fascinating to see the development of this wonderful 20th century art form from vaudeville, through the Ziegfield follies to the golden age defined by Rodgers and Hammerstein and then beyond. Who knew Irving Berlin could only play the piano in the key of C? The sections that dealt with the untimely deaths of Gershwin and Hammerstein were moving, particularly when we learn that Edelweiss was the last song Rodgers and Hammerstein collaborated on. I actually had a little tear or two. And the old footage of Gene Kelly in Pal Joey was so delightful....that man could dance!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was frustrated by the lack of future Gil Mayo Mysteries, as well. I understand it received highly mixed reviews in the U.K.: a lot of people found it unbearably smug. I think I'll have to buy the books.

But what got me about this episode was the way the camera kept concentrating on the sign reading "No job to big or to small," but Gil never made mention of it. Why ever not? It's not like Gil to let something like that pass.

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

smug?...really?...I thought the program did a nice understated line in dry wit...and I really enjoyed the timelessness of the program's aesthetic...with the look of the fashion and locations contemporary but also with a touch of the past..

the sign?...maybe a "sign" (bad joke!) that Gil's powers were fading..."signalling" the end of the series...or maybe (and this is a horrible thought)...they missed it!...OR maybe...a little in-joke for the observant audience!
getting the books is a good idea...I think I'll have to try this as well...but just hoping the whole disappearing wife storyline wasn't made up just for TV

Anonymous said...

Oh, I couldn't bear to think that they'd missed the sign. They've been so clever about the grammar jokes up to this point.

I suspect the accusations of smugness come from Gil's grammar jokes. Oddly, there are people out there who don't find grammar jokes charming. I can't understand that, myself!

The aesthetic was interesting, except we were constantly wondering where Alex found all those 1940s' style clothes. Nick suspected they were vintage, but they looked to be in good condition.

Wendy said...

yes it would seem to be quite a lapse...which makes me think maybe it was intentional?

I really loved those clothes...I thought they looked new rather than vintage...such inappropriate shoes!

And I agree...I think the humour of language is usually delightful

Anonymous said...

I admit, I vacillated on the shoes. I've never had a shoe fetish, but I veered between "Honestly, woman, you're a professional!" and "Ooh, pretty."

I loved, though, the Marlene Dietrich-y white suit she wore at the end of the episode. And some of the jumpers and coats were glorious. Oh, and the gloves! Those bright red and bright purple gloves filled me with a deep sense of envy.

Wendy said...

Yes same on the shoes...I know I would never make it through the day wearing spiky heels but I'd like to think I could!
Yes the gloves really made the outfits...reminds me of AbFab when Patsy was giving fashion advice on a morning show: "You can never have too many hats, gloves, bags or shoes" (or something like that...she was trying to think of the word "accessories!")