Wednesday, August 20, 2008

a little whining

It's been a somewhat frustrating and sometimes annoying day today. I had taken half a day's leave yesterday and today - and while yesterday was enjoyable as I came home and had a little nap before trotting out for coffee and cake, this afternoon was less relaxing. I had lunch out with some friends and then had to race home to teach the piano. I have a student sitting their grade 7 exam in just over a week and it's getting down to the nitty gritty in lessons - all the fine polishing and details. I don't whether it's the late nights catching up with me or what, but I just didn't have the energy for this today. I felt really antsy by the time the afternoon was over and just really wanted to lie down on my bed and relax. And the morning wasn't particularly productive at work either. By the time I was just getting settled into some writing a student wanted to come and see me about their assignment. This was fine and they are a lovely student but it did sort of cut the morning in half somewhat. And this meant I didn't really get as far as I would like.
Yes I'm feeling tired, cranky and little sorry for myself...I know this always does pass...fingers crossed for soon!
I need to get reinspired I think.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like mid-semester blues. Speaking generally, by mid-semester everyone's exhausted (including the students) and desperately needs a break, but there's usually marking, and you can't escape the crippling fear that you should be using this non-contact time to produce stellar intellectual work, so you end up rushing around like mad and go back to classes more tired than ever. At least that's how it works for me, and I'm not sure I'm alone.

If it's any comfort, our mid-semester break this semester comes after week 10. (How is that mid-semester? How?)

Wendy said...

that's spot on!

Mid semester after week 10?! - well unless you have a 20 week semester that seems very odd!!!

at least at my salubrious institution (a little sarcasm!!) the one thing they have worked out is the halfway point!

Anonymous said...

It's weird, isn't it? Last semester, it was after week 4. We were all thrilled at the time, but by week 8, we needed another break. And now week 10? My brain's going to feel like cheese by that point.

Wendy said...

i sympathise!