Friday, April 17, 2009

Faux love and sympathy

Yet another BIG NIGHT on the biggest loser and then I ventured into the world of MadMen.

The contest for the white shirt was the same as last year. Apparently now it has a name - STACKS ON. I don't remember that from last year, but for FANS it was where COSI held the weights on his back the longest and became a LEGEND in BIGGEST LOSER HISTORY. (Still looking for that authoritative tome by the way).

Anyhoo, firstly everyone ganged up on Tania. Because clearly she was the most unfit, but I also like to think it was something to do with their dislike of her excessive green eyeshadow. That was SCARING me. She went out pretty quickly, as did Jodi/Jeda (still not sure who's who there). Then everyone attacked Andrew who managed to get to 100 kilos before he could TAKE NO MORE. Then everyone went for Meghan, Sean and Stewart who STUCK IT OUT for as long as they could but eventually each DROPPED the BAR. No-one seemed to notice that neither Sharif or Teresa had any weights til then which was pretty STUPID, because Sharif is a BIG STRONG LAD now and was looking good. So together they got rid of Ramses. PHEW. Disaster averted. And then Sharif and Teresa slugged it out between each other. Teresa did pretty well, but Sharif managed to hold up 140 kilos on his barbell for just a few seconds longer. He is BACK IN THE GAME with a WHITE SHIRT for the WILD CARD WEIGH IN. Hurrah! (Oh and in other news Amanda went home AGAIN with an INJURY - this time her shoulder. Cue much hugging and faux love and sympathy from the other contestants)

Then I tried the first episode of MadMen on SBS. Hmmmm. As I noted on Twitter I am reserving my judgement until I've seen a few more episodes. The trouble with programs that come so hyped and critically applauded is that my expectations are always so high that the program rarely rises to meet them. I have the same problem with movies. Yes Margaret and David can give something four stars and then I see it and think, "Is that it?". I'm not sure what I was expecting with MadMen but it was something more than this. The sets, costumes, lighting, styling of the era was very beautiful, yet the insights into the world of advertising and gender politics failed to stun me. Surely the open sexism and racism can't be a surprise to any in this enlightened age (and yes I use the term "enlightened" with some ironic reservations) Still maybe it's a grower. We shall see. It was nice to see Holling Vincoeur from Northern Exposure though as the Lucky Strike man. Yes I know that's his character name. But that's how I always think of him.

4 comments:

Catriona said...

We recorded Mad Men and have yet to watch it, but I've had my reservations for a while--I've heard (though I can't remember where--probably from "them." You know how "they" say things) that the sexism and racism can become overwhelming in their ubiquity.

Maybe that's what they're aiming for? Not startling insights, but creating a different kind of critique by immersing viewers in an alien mindset?

Wendy said...

yes that could be possible. I don't want to spoil it before you watch it...but thinking further I wonder if the point isn't that rather being an "alien mindset" which could have been a definite possibility, it's really showing how far we haven't come...I will have to watch more before I decide. Keen to hear what you think once you get to watch it though.

Catriona said...

Good point. I was thinking in terms of science fiction and deeply immersive historical fiction (the Patrick O'Brien school), but, thinking of Lynx ads, it could well be showing a lack of progress.

I'll have to watch it soon, I think.

2paw said...

I've recorded MM too, so I can't really comment. I only saw up to the first ad break. I am not sure how I will feel abouit it, four stars and alll. And sometimes I only like things because no-one else does at the start. When they become popular I skedaddle!! I am fickle.