Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Which face do you like best?

Inspired by Catriona's post at Circulating Library on the problem with clowns, I looked up this clip from early Sesame Street. The story goes that when I was about 2 or 3 my mother was alerted to screaming from the living room and found me greatly disturbed by this freakish segment of a clown removing his makeup to reveal a very ordinary (and I still think just a little bit creepy) face. Watching it now after so many years though I think what is most disturbing is the end when he asks us which face we like best....and then chooses the clown face, not the "everyday" face.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear lord--I remember that! And I can't have seen it since it first aired.

Wow.

That's even creepier than I had imagined when you first mentioned it.

Clowns: they're not right. Seriously.

Wendy said...

I hear you!!!

it's creepier than I actually remembered too...perhaps had tried to block it out...but thanks to the wonders of youtube now we can all enjoy it once more!