Thursday, April 30, 2009

all quiet on the blogging front

And with the end of the Biggest Loser I found myself lacking impetus to blog. What's going on? Was I so immersed in the transformational journeying and history making weight loss TV that now I find myself cast adrift, wondering whether to watch RSPCA animal rescue or NCIS. I have lost my TV centre, my reason for pressing ON on the remote, for muting the ads, for my all round snarky commentary about various contestants, for imitating the Commando's monotone and inappropriate pauses, for wondering whether Shannan's tattoo was indeed real or painted on every evening. In short, I am bereft.

I watched Teachers on Tuesday night. It's sort of like Grange Hill for grown ups. Don't get me wrong, I watched a lot of Grange Hill as a youngster, marvelling at the "indoorsy" nature of English schools, and wondering just why soccer was called football. Teachers is all very enjoyable but if you miss it you don't care. I just don't know where to find that kind of show that will fill the Biggest Loser shaped void in my TV watching week.

And with the Bundaberg Music Eisteddfod starting on Monday there will be very little TV next week. Instead, I will be opening and closing doors, gaping in awe at stage parents (aaaggh), directing and ushering choirs and bands on and off the stage, setting many chairs and music stands, gossiping over who won and who should have won, encouraging nervous students backstage, accompanying a few others, and generally running about.

Meanwhile, this evening at 5pm it's the annual Bundaberg campus Graduation. I shall don the ugliest Phd academic gown in the history of academic gowns. (Picture these colours: blue, gold, pink, green...so dignified!) I shall play Trumpet Voluntary (on the piano) as the academics process in. I shall play the national anthem as everyone stands and attempts to sing, usually somewhat unenthusiastically. I shall then accompany the award winning Bundaberg Youth Choir as they perform two inspiring, tearjerking pieces - Nella Fantasia and Time to Say Goodbye. I shall then sit down clap loudly as 13 of our past STEPS students walk across the stage to graduate. I'll applaud the other graduates as well, just not as loudly! And lastly, I shall hand the ugly gown back to the hire people and hope and pray that by next year they finally change it to something more tasteful.

No comments: