Monday, February 8, 2010

Hello choir

Hello choir,

My sincerest apologies for not welcoming you to 2010 last week. It slipped my mind in the craziness that characterised not just Monday, but every other day of the week. Today was also hectic, busy and slightly frantic at work. I made some stupid mistakes with numbers which are not my forte, but all was resolved by the end of the day. Phew.

To return to the matter at hand. Choir. Every Monday night at 7:30 I turn up with my piano music and bash away at the notes as our choir learns new music. Sometimes it's wonderful, especially when we get past the note-bashing stage and I can actually play the proper accompaniments. Sometimes it's mind numbingly boring (see aforementioned note-bashing stage). Whatever it is, it's good for getting me out the house one night a week guaranteed, no matter how weary my eyes are, and no matter how desperately I just want to sit on the lounge in my jim jams and stare vacantly at the television. It's also good because it keeps my sight reading skills happening, and makes me play the piano at least once a week.

The best part is the people watching with the singers who arrive from all over town in search of some song. They laugh, they chat, they worry, they whine, they smile. They spend a few hours of time together once a week that they would probably never do so otherwise. It's nice. It produces a sense of community and shared experience. In fact despite the dull moments, it is actually a privilege.

Thanks choir
Wendy
(your accompanist)

4 comments:

2paw said...

Good on the choir, the shared choral experience is a wondrous thing!!! I hope the Choir behaves itself as the year goes on...

Wendy said...

yes me too. even though it occurs on a Monday! :)

Emma said...

when scream yippee for final choir rehearsal of the year remember this post! You love it really!

Wendy said...

funny I was just thinking about this post the other day....we all love it I think...well most of it anyway :-)