Friday, July 25, 2008

lettuce on the side

how much lettuce is too much lettuce on a sandwich?

Well, going by my lunch today, when one can reassemble the leaves into an entire head of lettuce then perhaps the chef has gone a little overboard in the lettuce stakes.

Jinx (in her wonderfully American fashion) suggested I should ask for "easy on the lettuce" next time.

This led to a Seinfeldesque conversation about the idiosyncratic ordering style in the USA.

Hold the lettuce = no lettuce at all

Easy on the lettuce= less than normal lettuce

Lettuce times two= extra lettuce

Lettuce on the side= self explanatory really - put the lettuce beside the sandwich. I'm not sure why anyone would do this with lettuce but I can see its applications for mustard, gravy, mayonnaise etc.

Here endeth the lesson in ordering!


(But one for all the Seinfeld fans...what I really ended up with today was a "big salad" between two pieces of turkish bread. Except, unlike the original big salad, no one else was taking credit for it).



It was "pretty, pretty good" though (now I'm quoting Larry David...time to stop I think)

No comments: