Saturday, July 12, 2008

Schumann 1926

I spent a pleasant half hour this morning going through some old piano music that had been given to me. Originally belonging to local piano teaching legend "Aunty" Jean Limpus (now sadly no longer with us), there are some wonderfully historical pieces in here, as well as some bits and pieces that I will be able to use with students. Things like the Bartok Mikrokosmos that I have never got around to buying, as well as lots of easy piano duets.
I was impressed with the date in this well thumbed and yellowing Schumann Album for the Young. Standard piano teaching practice is to write the date at the start of a piece when a student starts learning. This one - 1926!

And this one shows us how the AMEB has been publishing their grade books for quite some time. I wonder if in 1934 they also seemed ridiculously over-priced.


And lastly, what wonderfully dramatic covers sheet music used to have. This just one of many in this vein.



No comments: