Friday, July 4, 2008

the mysteries of grammar

I'm currently enjoying Thursday evening's Gil Mayo mysteries on ABC1. A group of four quirky detectives who solve a mystery each week, the best thing is the lead character's inclination to correct the grammar of his colleagues. Last night we were taught that it should be "different from" not "different to". What I also like is that it's a detective program that is not fixated on showing autopsies in their full gory detail all over the screen. It's more in the vein of the English detective program of manners - a la Agatha Christie.

I was going to try and stay tuned for QandA, the program which follows, but after five minutes decided it was way too laboured and dull. Went to bed instead. Should I have perservered for longer? I think I might have a television-induced short attention span....

No comments: