Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What Wendy Watched: Hanging out in the music block for fun

First up, a question.

Have you watched any of the following programs and enjoyed them?

Summer Heights High
Australian/American (or any other nationality) Idol
Election
High School Musical (any version)
Sister Act 2
Bring it on (a B grade Kirsten Dunst film about cheerleading)

If so, then Glee might just be the television series you have been waiting for.

More questions...

Did you spend every lunch hour during high school involved in a cultural activity - choir, musical, play, orchestra, concert band, string ensemble, just hanging out in the music block for fun?
Did you play no sport at all through high school?
Were you in the nerdy,dorky, smart clique as opposed to the netballing, footballing, cricketing crowd where all the girls had blonde hair and perfect teeth and the guys didn't tuck their shirts in, and all wore cool three white stripe adidas sneakers instead of the regulation black leather shoes? (yes, I'm generalising and stereotyping. Yes, I know that's naughty).

Do you love musicals, particularly the all singing, dancing numbers?

If so, then I think like me, you might have enjoyed Glee. You might even be waiting in great anticipation for September when the series begins properly. You might even be prepared to suffer through yet another wailing series of Australian Idol where no doubt every ad break will contain an obligatory Glee promo to the point where you wonder whether you can maintain the will to live until September. So despite the fact that it is a slightly uneven tonal mix of the shows I have named above, I am prepared to wait patiently until Channel Ten deigns to show more episodes. And when it slowly loses in the ratings and is swiftly relegated to a late night slot (a distinct possibility although I am happy to be proven wrong) I will most likely continue to record and watch at my leisure.

3 comments:

Mione said...

I can't believe they put the sneek peak on at 9:30pm on a Sunday night. I may be an old woman... but staying up to watch it would have been way past my bed time.

Indeed I'm off to bed right after I finish this message.

PS It also didn't help that I had an extremely busy weekend and was completely exhausted. Took all my effort just to watch the Masterchef final (boo to them..... Chris should have won)!

Enough ranting.... and off to bed!

2paw said...

I feel that is what will happen, Australians won't be drawn to the blatant Americanism of the show, with which they are unfamiliar, but there will be copious amounts of late night recording!! I love it, thought it was really great, the singing was terrific!!
I was 18 months younger than the rest of my year and so I didn't really fit in, but I didn't care. I watched Monty Python, listened to LOTR and The Goons on Saturday ABC radio, took ballet lessons and read science fiction and fantasy before they were cool!!Oh and I was in the choir!! I was a girly swot!!
I Love Musicals.
I will be waiting very impatiently till September. Hope it lives up to my expectations.
I've seen Sister Act, Election and Bring it On, don't care for the others. I also like Drop Dead Gorgeous!!

Wendy said...

yes Mione! It was way past my bedtime as well. thank goodness i can now record television. I did watch the end of masterchef eventhough i had watched none of the episodes. I think the judge with the cravat should have won simply for his audacious attention-seeking fashion styling.

I was also a "girly swot" 2paw, however the preferred term during the 1980s at Bundaberg STate High School was "square". Playing the violin and piano and doing extra English homework seemed to attract that tag for some reason. I can't for the life of me imagine why!