Wednesday, June 11, 2008

the revolution is just a t-shirt away

Passing the time on the drive to and from Brisbane with my ipod I rediscovered the joy of a few great songs from my youth (or should that be "yesteryear"?)
The first was Billy Bragg's Waiting for the Great Leap Forward (although strictly speaking this is before my "yoof"). In spite of my lately found suspicion of Billy's sincerity through the bad blood that obviously simmers from the Woody Guthrie/ Wilco collaboration, this is a rollicking good singalong tune - with or without the politics. (Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of my all time favourites. I suspect there's a country singer inside here somewhere that's trying to escape).
And then there was Sparky's Dream from Teenage Fanclub. Sadly I'm old enough to remember when this was all over the radio when it was released. Still, it stands the test of time and has inspired me to go back to the album. There are just not enough Scottish pop bands around these days.
And delving back a little further in time (or should that be "out of time" - hilarious!) - REM's Losing my Religion. I can't get enough of that mandolin, even though this is from the moment when they got all popular and commercial. Although their best album is still Automatic for the People which came after. After that, it's all downhill. Tip for the day - don't listen to this one if you're already feeling a little melancholy.

No comments: