Thursday, June 18, 2009

"i said be careful his bow tie is really a camera"




You know I was little disappointed in myself yesterday because up until the moment when Simon and Garfunkel appeared on the stage, I didn't seem to be excited at all. This was strange, but then as they emerged together in a spotlight a long way from where we were sitting in the "upper circle" (which sounds posh, like the royal box at the opera or something, but really is code for "see those little pint sized dots way down there, that's who you've paid to come and see"), I got quite a little bit emotional and choked back a few tears. They started with Old Friends, quickly added the band for some rocking Hazy Shade of Winter and it kept going from there.

Thank goodness for the big screens. Living in the regions (or "the sticks" as some us like to call it) I rarely get to big concerts anymore so hadn't been to one in the era of the big screen (that I recall). In fact (and here I display my age) the last time I went to the Entertainment Centre was when REM was touring their Monster album. I don't remember anything about it except that Michael Stipe had a music stand with all the words (which I found surprising) and that when we caught the train home and got off at Toowong, the platform was locked up and we had to wait for some security person to let us out. Misty, water coloured memories.

I digress. So sure, Simon and Garfunkel are getting on and the audience was dominated by so called "baby boomers". Garfunkel's voice isn't as strong in its beautiful top register as it used to be, but that's to be expected. He made up for it with his light expressive singing of the wonderful Paul Simon lyrics, although he occasionally let fly with a big sound, as in Bridge Over Troubled Water. I'm guessing he'll have to pace himself and avoid the swine flu to get through all the performances vocal chords intact. Paul Simon's voice has deterioriated less which meant sometimes the balance in the harmony wasn't as fabulous as it could have been. But I'm being pernickety here (and that could have been a mixing thing). And goodness me, he can still play that guitar like the finger picking folkie cool cat that he started as.

For me, what the concert was about was the songs themselves which are timeless, poetic, political, humorous and finely crafted. They have stood the test of time and will continue to do so. Highlights were America, Kathy's Song, The Only Living Boy in New York, Sounds of Silence, The Boxer and a fun and funky finale of Feelin' Groovy. They also each took a turn at some of their solo work. The absolute highlight here was Paul Simon's Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes. The band was tight, and included (joy of joys) an accordion! But I missed At the Zoo, Baby Driver, Punky's Dilemma, Keep the Customer Satisfied, Richard Cory, Dangling Conversation...and every other song they ever recorded. Yes, I know they couldn't sing them all. And Bye Bye Love...they chatted about the influence of the Everly Brothers and then sang Gene Vincent's Be Bop a Luba (not sure on the spelling here).

This was one of the finest moments and made a perfect second last song.



Time passes, but some music returns to us again and again with new nuance and poignancy (as I'm sure this does for them as they sing it many years after its composition).

(oh and you just know I bought a tshirt...and a program)

9 comments:

Andrew said...

Fantastic - knew you'd get a shirt.
The concert sounded wonderful

Wendy said...

and i am wearing the shirt to work today!!
it was exciting once it started and was over in a flash (despite the fact they played for 2 hours or so)

matt said...

Yet another band of whom I only own their best of album. Sounds like you got treated to a memorable experience (and bought the t-shirt).

Sue said...

Glad you enjoyed it - now we all want to see photos of the t-shirt!!! :) And maybe other photos too...

Wendy said...

i took some other photos on my camera but lack a means of getting them off their on to my computer because i am nothing if not technologically inept.

the tshirt is pale blue with retro shot of S and G walking along and the back reads " old friends, sat on a parkbench like bookends" ( i think..because I'm not taking it off at this moment to check)

djfoobarmatt...the best of is a good choice but I highly recommend branching out...saw all albums very cheap at borders yesterday!!

Catriona said...

At the very least everyone should own Bridge Over Troubled Water and Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme.

I admit, I've never branched beyond those (though I listen to those two all the time--though I sometimes eye the soundtrack to The Graduate.

Wendy said...

those two are packed with gems! wednesday morning 3am and bookends have good songs as well as well as some unusual things.

Sue said...

Some Simon & Garfunkel related trivia.

I have been horrified by people's lack of knowledge of Simon and Garfunkel. A while back some cretin released a disco version of Bridge Over Troubled Water. That's right - I did write that correctly - it was a DISCO version, complete with thudding beat etc. Ugh.

There were several levels of horror.
1. The awful, tasteless music.
2. The appalling gall of ruining such a classic piece of music.
3. The fact that noone in the class (it was used in one of my gym classes) knew that there even WAS an original (Aside: I stopped using that track as soon as was possible and have refused to use it since...).

Some people really just need a good dose of slap therapy. :)

2paw said...

Couldn't be there, obviously, so thank you for the review. I am chuffed that I seem to recognise most of the song titles. I didn't realise they were so old, not that they are OLD, but time flies by!!