Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Things I really am not that keen on Tuesday

I try not to go on about my job here because mostly it's really wonderful, but after a "training" session this afternoon I must vent.

Today was a Tuesday during which I discovered quite a number of things I am really not that keen on at work. Here's a representative sample list:
- tracking the "lifecycle" of a student through a new and complicated Customer Relations Management system. Contrary to popular opinion students are not tadpoles.
- filling out "sales" requests online
- filling out "service" requests online
- selling my educational soul to a division of marketing
- having jobs allocated to me in my very own special "queue" which I am expected to check every day and to which my supervisor has access. Do I hear anyone screaming "FOUCAULT?". Oh... wait...that's me.

Things I am really quite interested in:
- helping students
- teaching students
- using processes that are proven to work until something else better (not just different) comes along
- working collegially with staff by communicating with them directly, rather than through an impersonal interface where it seems like automaton type bots answer your questions
- maintaining a personal communication with prospective students (rather than using template, generic letters and emails)
- finding the mythical time in which i am able to research instead of doubling up on pointless busy work. (If I ever find myself in a pop band I have decided that phrase is going to be its name).
- working in an institution that values the education of its students over and above the capacity we have to "sell" them things.

Rant over.
Normal blogging activity will be resumed as soon as possible.

No comments: