Thursday, September 18, 2008

note to self

"I will not check my work email at home again"

See the very informed post at homecooked theory for a connection to my note to myself. Basically I had started to feel that perhaps it wasn't the best practice in the world to be checking work email first thing in the morning (i.e. before breakfast, showering and general waking up and easing into the day). Now thanks to Melissa Gregg's post, I can see this in a broader social context in terms of the impact of technologies like email on contemporary work practice.

So far I have maintained the self-imposed ban on compulsive work email checking at home.

But it's been a struggle.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be strong!!! I only check work email at home once a week-- half way through Thursday( my day off) and of late I don't even do that!!! The messages can wait until I get to work on the Friday. We don't want to turn into people that check emails 4 or 5 times a day.

Wendy said...

Yes I agree...they need to wait...there's never anything so urgent that it needs to be checked at home. Patience is a virtue after all!!