Saturday, September 6, 2008

Wendy's Week of TV Part 8

Once again it wasn't a huge week of television for Wendy. Sickness combined with evenings out at the theatre meant not many hours in front of the box. Looking forward to a bigger week next week.

Saturday: The Incredibles

I hadn't seen it before and with the house to myself I thought it was a good opportunity to catch up on some missed Pixar. Great story and beautiful animation...a joy from start to finish.


Sunday: Doctor Who

Ooooh...it was the gripping second half of the library episode. I was so glad I forced myself out of my sickbed to lie on the lounge and watch this. Such wonderful ideas here regarding the space between real and virtual worlds and our understanding of them. I LOVED it. Poor sad Doctor and Donna at the end. My heart jumped when Donna's lovely husband with the stammer just missed her in the library. Sad....And that nice country house looked like a pretty good way to spend eternity as well...especially with all that clean white clothing.

Midsomer Murders: I stayed on the lounge for this one, but did crawl into bed before all was revealed so I didn't find out whodunnit. Or if the detective's daughter eventually got married. Oh well. It's not must see TV but the scenery of the English villages is always attractive.


Monday: Top Gear

Guest star in a reasonably priced car was Jamie Oliver who quite frankly seemed like a bit of a git. Maybe he wasn't really at ease on a car show.


Wednesday:

I watched a fascinating little slice of life documentary on SBS about AFL teams on King Island in Tasmania. No...really... I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

The Hollowmen: I loved the little dig at the Prime Minister's eyebrows (Howard) and sideburns (Rudd). Something for everyone here.



The Antiques Roadshow: Spending a lot of time lying about the house this week meant lots of time for TV that I wouldn't normally watch. Just how many people in Britain have undiscovered Faberge, priceless furniture and paintings lying under the bed? Lots, it would appear. Most enjoyable though are the experts with their eccentric personalities and interests in obscure objects.

NB. Tonight, I see ABC2 is showing a science fiction film based on a Ray Bradbury story, "It Came From Outer Space". If I was going to be at home I'd be lining up for this one.

No comments: