Thursday, March 26, 2009

Modern dating charlatans and charades

Well last night I watched Maggie and Simon cook all manner of things I never want to eat. I'm not enthused about the idea of kangaroo and I don't like seafood (except for fish and chips) so the cockles were less than appealing. Don't get me wrong I quite enjoy Maggie and Simon for their odd couple style. But once, just once, I want them to show us a dish that fails, something that tastes yuck, that they spit back into their hands in disgust. Please.....

And then, came 7pm. BL time everyone. Start jogging. Bob and Nathan were helicoptered to Fitzroy Island with the Commando. He did a LOT of SHOUTING. They had to carry five weeks of supplies to their BEACH CABIN. It was shabby surfer CHIC this time, instead of five star luxury. Bob looked VERY TIRED. GO BOB....you can do it. Meanwhile back at the ranch, Cameron spent most of the hour CRYING. PLEASE STOP THIS CAMERON. It's very annoying. His WIFE arrived. It was like Jack Sprat and his wife except the other way round. Also visiting was his OTHER DAUGHTER. She looked nothing like either of them. ANYWAY, we had to endure lots of whiny commentary from Cameron as he and his wife had a ROMANTIC dinner of what looked like a platter of WATERMELON. Also Sharif dobbed in Cam and Sam for their POOR NUTRITIONAL CHOICES. Michelle got MAD AT THEM. And then everyone trained with two members of the Sydney Swans, one of whom was BIG BARRY HALL, the other of which I did not know and can't REMEMBER their name. Oh and the temptation was eating fortune cookies. BORING. That will not prevent me from TUNING IN this evening.

Then I watched the Lawrence Leung: Choose your own adventure. Lawrence plays himself as a nerd/geek guy. (I don't know if I'm spelling Lawrence correctly but can't be bothered to look it up. Apologies Lawrence). This adventure involved Lawrence trying to track down the girl he had a crush on in Grade 3. It was sweet and gentle, yet incisively critical of modern dating charlatans and charades. Those American dating experts were creepy and scary. Angela, the girl in question was a good sport when confronted by Lawrence and his guitar, singing her a love song. Lawrence's parents were cute as well, telling him like it is. Next week Lawrence becomes a rock star. I, for one, am looking forward to that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simon and Maggie do cook some things I would never eat: and the food seems boogelly too. Yet they rave about it. I think there should be more things I would like to cook, not that I'm self centred or anything!!!
It is 'Lawrence' and I still have that to watch. I was out last night so it's saved on the HDD from ABC2. I love having a second chance!!! Lawrence seems to be getting very good reviews.

Wendy said...

What I liked about Lawrence is that he was without the smugness and "smartarsery" that characterises The Chaser and to some degree Safran. Lawrence was more like the "innocent abroad" which I found more appealing.
Actually don't like The Chaser much at all.

Wendy said...

oops...just realised I should have kept quiet until you actually got to watch Lawrence...hope I haven't spoiled it for you!

matt said...

I found Lawrence Leung pretty cringe-worthy. His song was so embarrassing and some of the other scripted but supposedly ad-lib stuff fell flat for me. The interviews with the "dating consultants" were eye-openers to be sure. I'll watch it again but it wasn't as good as what I thought it would be based on the write-ups I read. I agree that at least he isn't as smug as The Chaser and Safran. (Safran apparently has a show coming up on the ABC which is his failed attempt to break into the US)

Wendy said...

I hadn't read any write ups so I may have had lower expectations. I don't mind the cringe factor in comedy actually, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I liked that the songs were embarrassing and thought Angela was a pretty good sport. I'll take that over smugness any day. One more week will make my mind up properly i think.
Really? a new Safran show...my favourite was music jamboree so far.