Sunday, April 25, 2010

And so it begins: Bundaberg Music Eisteddfod Day 1

I'm very optimistically calling this post Day 1 in the hope that I will post the highlights of the Music Eisteddfod every day this week. Please don't be surprised if you see nothing on the blog until next weekend.

We gently start today with one afternoon session (1.30 at the Playhouse theatre in Steffensen Street if you happen to be in Bundaberg). Then we can all go home and watch TV and pretend there is not a week of highly organised chaos to follow with three sessions per day sometimes at two venues at once. Oh yes, it gets exciting. It also sometimes gets a little bit too serious for some parents. I choose to ignore their Eisteddfod parenting. I was indeed a child of the Bundaberg Eisteddfod growing up. Thankfully my mother was not an Eisteddfod parent. The closest we got was planning what I would wear every day so we could be organised in the fashion (and I use the term loosely) department. We did not compare adjudication reports with every other competitor in our section. We did not expect to win. We did not make written complaints to the committee within 15 minutes of the section finishing because we didn't win. And so it goes on. Luckily (and I say this with my fingers crossed) we do not seem to have any of these parents at the moment. However, we have had in the past and they make things Very Unpleasant for all concerned.

So here's to a fun week of music making for all the students, teachers and parents concerned.

Now I must check my list to see what I am supposed to be wearing today.

2 comments:

2paw said...

Yes, and dancing parents too. I was lucky that my parents didn't expect artistic greatness either!!
Hope you get your clothes organised ASAP and that the parents' demeanour continues to be positive.

Wendy said...

I think dancing parents take the cake really in that department. thank goodness i was never good enough at dancing to be forced into an Eisteddfod.

Clothes are still a little up in the air.
We are having yet another burst of summer....