Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 4: Is brought to you by mascara and the colour green

I am tired. I stayed up too late to be getting up at 5:30am. As a result I am wearing a little more makeup than usual under my eyes (shadows) and have hacked into the mascara even though I know that by the end of the day I will look like a raccoon because it makes my eyes itchy. And I itch them.

Highlights of the Eisteddfod yesterday were the secondary school choirs. Such stunning work. I never thought I would listen to Enya with delight but Shalom Catholic College sang a fantastic arrangement of Orinoco Flow and sang with so well. They were pipped at the post by St Luke's Anglican College who sang a madrigal and another piece I don't know the name of but it was very beautiful. What a treat. And last night my dearest piano student talked herself into an attack of nerves with her Brahms Intermezzo although still was Highly Commended. She did recover beautifully to win the Australian composer section with The Forest Stream by Miriam Hyde.

Primary school choirs can be less of treat. There were some good ones but there were also quite a few who are still working on the difference between singing and speaking. Still, the participation is high and the kids are having fun which is what it's all about in the end.

In other news, my feet hurt and by the end of yesterday they were also extremely whiffy in the skechers. So today I have chosen green green green. Green T shirt with a little silver trimming along the shoulders plus my trusty green converse sneakers. Sadly, I do have to do go work from 9-2 so I shall miss the junior and senior concert bands. This is okay because concert bands are not my Favourite Things. Sadly, though I will miss the senior string orchestras which I love. I hope to be back in time to have missed the recorder groups, but to see the orchestras and stage bands.

Oh and I only lost my cool once yesterday and shouted at someone amidst the chaos. There were two other times when I was Miss Assertive and Very Proud of Myself.

3 comments:

Emma said...

You don't like concert bands?! Shock...I have to admit the stage bands are better!
It's a very busy week isn't it...at least there are venues closer to Indulge ;) even if there is no time!

2paw said...

I know participation is the thing in Primary schools, and since MrsDrWho took Choir, I have heard all the monotone 'singing' in the world, but it's not really for competition. What's sauce for the school assembly is not always sauce for the Eisteddfod.
Waterproof mascara??
It will be a good day if you are dressed in green!!!

Wendy said...

Well we did manage and Indulge this afternoon because we had finished by 4 so that was a treat.

I think the green did make all the difference today. Monotone singing and concert bands are not my favourite things in the world at all.