Saturday, January 3, 2009

a little stack of books



The lovely Kate (my brother's fiance) brought me a little stack of books to try.

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Go-Betweens by David Nichols
Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisenberger
Willie's Bar and Grill by Rob Hirst
Theft by Peter Carey

In return I loaned her
Saint Maybe by Anne Tyler
The Jane Austen Book Club by (i forget)

I don't know who got the better end of this deal. We each have eclectic tastes and seem to like the opposite things. I have never managed to finish a Peter Carey book in my life (not for want of trying, even though there are a number on my shelves). I also couldn't make it to the end of The Devil Wears Prada (same author of the Weisenberger) whereas Kate thought it was great. But, she has more of an insight into the fashion/beauty industry than I do (having worked it and continuing to do so). Middlesex has the stamp of approval from Oprah's Book Club. I don't know if that is quite the stamp of approval it used to be when Oprah first started bookclubbing. However, I shall not judge the book by its stamp and will give it a try.

She also returned my copy of The Bell Jar. I was glad to see it again, even though I don't feel the need to read it anymore.

No comments: