Sunday, January 11, 2009

Look don't rock





I'm tremendously excited to take temporary possession of this family rocking chair. It belonged to my great grandmother on my mother's father's side of the family. She died the year I was born so I have never knew her. This was one of the few items my mother salvaged when the family sold off the house and its contents. I grew up with it as a very special of furniture in all the houses we have lived in. I was always fascinated by the curve and spiral of its bentwood style legs. How did they get wood to do that? It was rarely for sitting in even when I was growing up. In later years I used to have lots of trouble keeping my little piano students out of it as it was in the same room as the piano. Because as we all know rocking chairs look like such fun, so they just wanted to climb right up and rock wildly. I'm afraid with its age this would be the end of the chair now. So with my parents moving into their new house recently and with no place to put it,lucky me, I get to "mind" it for them.

But on the strict understanding, that it is not for sitting in.

2 comments:

matt said...

What a strange psychological experiment: to see how long it takes before a person cracks (mentally) and has to sit on it.

Wendy said...

So far I have resisted any temptation
:)