Saturday, January 17, 2009

A mild case of domestic goddessness

I'm feeling extremely pious because I have just cleaned out the fridge. Not just thrown out the food that's past it (I do that very regularly most of the time), but actually pulled the crisper out and washed it, as well as wiping out the shelves. This is something that doesn't happen every day, or indeed every month, or probably even every six months.

Things I found that are now in the bin:
Half used jar of pasta sauce that had found a hiding place behind a bottle of wine...age I can't remember...therefore the rule is automatically bin
Yellowing broccoli - not even a week old so slightly annoying
Tomatoes in various states of overripeness
Bendy carrots - Carrots just don't last as long as they used to I find.
Tinned pineapple in a plastic container that had been pushed to recesses of the shelf by some jars of jam....age I can't remember...automatically binned
Watermelon that had gone too watery. Even though I had cut it into pieces as soon as I got it home a few days ago and put it in a container. I understand that's what domestic goddesses do. My usual practice has been to just hack slices off the piece of watermelon and keep putting it back in the fridge until only the skin is left. That works as well.
Some feta cheese in a plastic bag. There's no mucking around with cheese...bin.
Slices of plum pudding in a tupperware. It's way too far past Christmas for me, (the pernickety use by date person), to even be contemplating plum pudding.

All this kitchen activity.
I'm not sure what came over me.

Next thing you know I'll be cleaning out cupboards or somesuch.

No comments: